gardener Arthur Jones (1863-1950) spent most of his life studying
the archaeology of the area. A large part of his collection
is at the Worcester Museum including flints, coins and other
he does not appear to have written any articles himself, the
following archaeological publications mention his work:
of the Worcestershire Archaeology Society for 1944, Vol
XXI, 1945, ed by E A B Barnard
rare coins have been reported, the first Anglo-Saxon sceattas
recorded from Worcestershire: one from Sedgeberrow and the other
from Badsey Fields. The latter was found by our member, Mr Arthur
E Jones, who has presented it to the Worcester Museum, there
to take its place among other interesting coins which he has
found on the same site and thereabouts. These coins, less than
half an inch across, are of base silver, stuck at, or imitated
from those struck at London, the remains of which name are preserved
in the ONIOIU of the obverse. The reverse shows a figure (?
An ecclesiastic, possibly Mellitus, Bishop of London, c 604-616)
bearing two long crosses and clothed in a long robe with a chequered
upper part. The head on the reverse is derived from the Roman
Newsletter, October 1949, Vol 2, No 6
of the most interesting areas of occupation, dating from this
period and as yet unexplored, is centred in the black alluvial
soil of the Lower Avon. Here in the Badsey-South Littleton district,
and almost within the shadow of Bredon Hill, lies a rich area
of cultivation which may have been farmed as early as the second
century BC. Rising slightly above the dark fen-like cultivated
fields are ridges an low hillocks on which there is evidence
of intensive settlement over a period of some centuries and
including the whole of the Roman occupation. Indeed it may well
be that the inhabitants of Bredon, who appear to have left the
hill fort after the dramatic engagement, settled in this area
from the early years of the first century AD. The find, now
deposited at Worcester Museum, include much Iron Age and Roman
material with coins dating from Claudius to Arcadius. The discovery
is due to the active interest taken by Mr A E Jones of Badsey
over a period of three-quarters of a century (!). He has been
responsible for saving many of the objects and recording them,
and it is to be hoped that full-scale excavations on scientific
lines may be undertaken at one or more of the settlement sites
in this district."
in the Cheltenham Chronicle from 1944 tells us that some
of Arthur Jones's finds were also given to the Cheltenham Museum.
Foxhill near Badsey
of Foxhill is from A Descriptive History of the Town of Evesham
by George May, published 1845.
about a mile's distance eastward from the church, upon a farm
occupied by Mr. Gibbs of Knowle Hill, and seated on a gentle
slope, is a field now called "Foxhill." Here pieces of coarse,
dark, gritty pottery are widely strewn, intermixed with fragments
of finer quality, colored red. Human bones in beds, and those
of animals, apart from the former, intermixed with antlers of
deer and the horns of small cattle, have also been recently
disturbed. Rude slabs of stone, occasionally laid kiln-wise,
and bearing marks of fire, have likewise been exposed. These
at first regarded as places where the ware was baked; but Mr.
Gibbs remarks that the soil being wholly on gravel, there is
no material for pottery any where near. No coins appears to
have been found here, with the exception of one of those small
copper Constantines that elsewhere commonly occur; but what
is perhaps earlier than our Roman coinage - a rude bead or annulet,
of pared bone, one inch in diameter, and a fourth of an inch
thick, has been preserved. As soon as the present crop will
permit, Mr. Gibbs intends to open the ground for careful examination.
Meanwhile, from what we have hitherto seen, we are disposed
to regard the site as that of a British settlement; but whether
so occupied before the Roman invasion we are not at present
about Roman Badsey appears on a separate
century token found at Wickhamford
bullet found in the ground along Sands Lane by Peter Stewart
in September 2012 has been identified by one of the worlds leading
authority on weapons and ammunitions, Anthony Williams, as been
fired from a Martini Henry Rifle and dates from 1875 (give or
take a few years). This rifle was in use from 1871 to 1888 and
used in the British colonial wars, second Anglo-Afghan wars,
Anglo-Zulu wars, and the Boer Wars.
ask who in Badsey served in any of the listed conflicts, brought
home his rifle and discharged it over Badsey?
has recently put a name to a bronze artefact that was found
by Semour Smith back in the 1960s in Badsey. This is a Woad
Grinder, also known as a Cosmetic Grinder. It was used to grind
up the plant known as Woad.
Grinder 1st Century BC – 1st Century AD found in Badsey in the
as a cosmetic grinder, this would have been the mortarium half
of a two piece set worn a round the neck and much used, like
a small pestle and mortar, for grinding up the small blue flower
that produced the distinctive dye known as 'woad' . Made of
bronze, it measures 65 mm in length.
used to paint elaborate patterns on their faces and bodies in
order to make them more terrifying and fearsome going into battle.
Carrying a small shield and a big sword, sometimes naked and
with his hair spiked up with mud, he would present a very scary
sight as he charged at you screaming like a banshee. Although
I think these days he could easily fit into any Saturday night
town centre at turning out time and no one would notice.
A very early find:
Flint blade from Badsey
recent field walk on one of his study sites in Badsey, Peter
Stewart found a flint flake. He forwarded photographs of the
find to landscape consultant Paul Whitehead who believes the
flake to be Neolithic or later. He states that it appears to
have been roughly blunted all round with one side retaining
a small clearly-defined hemispherical impression - where the
tool-user has passed it to and fro (like a spokeshave) over
a hard material, possibly bone, or during bone pin manufacture.
The flake measures 35mm x 15mm but its butt and tip have been
removed by the blunting so that it is impossible to estimate
its original length.
2012, this stone age flint blade is likely to be at least 6000
blade predates all of the other artefacts Peter Stewart has
so far found at this site though past surface finds in the same
area indicate considerable prehistoric and Romano-British occupation.
They include Bronze Age pottery; Iron Age Coins; Romano-British
pottery; querns; fibulae; coins and human burials. (Turner.
J.H., 1974. Register of Countryside Treasures. Worcester County
Planning Department). The present whereabouts of these previous
finds have yet to be determined.
penny was found by Peter Stewart in the middle of a ploughed
field in Badsey in 2011. In an article in Cotswold &
Vale Magazine (April 2012), he tells the story revealed
by the find.
appeared to be a penny from the time of Edward I (1272-1307).
But when he showed it to coin expert Mike Edward, they agreed
it did not look quite right. Further investigation showed it
was an imitation produced in France by the Duke of Lorraine
using poor quality silver. Despite attempts to ban them, the
coins infiltrated English currency. The coin has also been clipped.
Peter comments 'One cannot help but feel sorry for the poor
individual whose coin it was. He not only lost the equivalent
of half a day's pay but was not aware that he had been paid
in imitation money.'
coin was another find by Peter Stewart at Badsey in 2012. Arthur
Jones also found two examples in the 1940s, but they are much
less common than Roman coins.
is a small hammered silver coin from the Anglo-Saxon period.
From about 675 to 740 AD they were the only coins in circulation.
They were minted in England, Frisia and Jutland. There are quite
a number of different designs. The pattern here is given the
name 'porcupine'. Peter found the coin with his metal detector
and has registered it with the Fitzwilliam Museum