Birmingham Road, Badsey (B4085)
Birmingham Road is not specifically mentioned in the Badsey Enclosure Award Schedules, presumably because the majority of the road existed in the parish of Offenham. It was originally known as Blackminster Lane because it was the road to Blackminster; it was known as this in 1866 when Edward Wilson sold the land to the west of the road. From the late 19th century, it became an important route for sending market gardening produce to market in Birmingham, and by the beginning of the 20th century it was being referred to as Birmingham Road. In 1884 Littleton and Badsey Station opened about a mile to the north in the parish of Offenham and so it became an even more important transit route. The station was closed on 3rd January 1966, but the road is still a busy thoroughfare with many HGV lorries transporting goods to out-of-town warehouses.
In 1890, at a Vestry Meeting, it was agreed that the Road Surveyor, Thomas Byrd, should apply to the County Authority for Blackminster Lane from The Oak Inn as far as the Offenham boundary, to become a Main Road.
The first house in Badsey built on this road was West View in 1897, just round the corner from Laburnam Villa in neighbouring Bretforton Road. There was then no more housing development until the latter part of the 20th century
See also Birmingham Road, Blackminster.
View Larger Map
East Side – 2, 4, 6, 8, West View, The Old Exchange (Badsey Map G079)
In 1812, at the time of the Badsey Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure which belonged to Elizabeth Ballard. It was called Nether Field and amounted to 3a 1r 38p. By 1866, when Edward Wilson sold the land to the east, it was in the ownership of Mrs Ingles.
West Side – Vale Gardens Ltd (Badsey Map G078)
In 1812, at the time of the Badsey Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure which belonged to Edward Wilson. It was called Lower Nether Field and amounted to 3a 0r 33p 2r 33p. On 23rd July 1866, Edward Wilson sold the land at an auction at The Northwick Arms Hotel, Evesham, in Lot 3 (the measurement was now 3a 2r 30p). It was bought by William Henry Ashwin of Bretforton and remained in the Ashwin family until 1912, being sold as part of Lot 2. Older residents of the village recall that there used to be stone pits for building on this plot of land. The pits were redundant by the 1930s, used for filling up sand-bags during the Second World War, then used as a rubbish dump until finally capped.
Where they are available, links are provided to historical information about places and buildings. This index of roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington was compiled as part of the Badsey Society Enclosure Map Project. The house numbers and names are correct as at May 2006. Every care has been taken to provide accurate information, but if you are aware of any error, please contact us. If you wish to provide a history or memories of an individual house on this road, please email History@badsey.net.