Enclosure map project

Badsey Lane, Badsey

Badsey website home page

Roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington

Link to WCC GIS map
Click on the image above to see this road on the Worcestershire County Council GIS website with the digitised historical maps. Click on the image below to view the original enclosure map.
enclosure map

Photos taken 2006. Aerial photos: a7230

BADSEY LANE

Although this road existed at the time that the Badsey Enclosure Map was drawn up, it was not included on the schedule of roads. This was probably because only a very small proportion of the road exists in the parish of Badsey. Badsey Lane originates in the parish of Bengeworth, Evesham, and it is only when Badsey Brook is crossed that it becomes part of Badsey. The lane was widened on the bend in 1899. On the Ordnance Survey map of 1923, it is known as Badsey Lane, and a modern-day sign at the start of the road from Badsey calls it Badsey Lane but, rather confusingly, the only house on this Badsey section of the road has a postal address of Knowle Hill, Evesham. The Evesham bypass, built in 1987, cuts the Evesham section of Badsey Lane in two.

The bridge, which marks the boundary between Badsey and Bengeworth, was known formerly as Mill Bridge. The Highway Surveyor’s Accounts for 1673 record that 8 shillings was "laid out to the repair of the mill bridge then for planks and nails". A further 3s 8d was "then paid for John Taylor and his man for work done then". The Enclosure Map shows how the brook was diverted at this point so that it could run due south to pass through the middle of the mill building; the 1967 Ordnance Survey map shows this still in existence.

North Side – Hoby Lodge (Badsey Map G010)

In 1812, at the time of the Badsey Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure which belonged to the Reverend Thomas Williams. It was a house (present-day number 42 High Street, Badsey Hall) and homestead and amounted to 0a 1r 21p. Thomas Williams died in 1829 and the land passed by inheritance to the Allies family, remaining in their ownership until 1864 when they sold it to Joseph Woodward, the agent of the estate. Woodward in turn sold the Badsey part of the estate in 1866 to John Pickup Lord; he died in 1877, but his executors administered the estate for some time. It was bought by Arthur Jones in 1911. Hoby Lodge was built in the grounds of Badsey Hall in the 1970s.


View Larger Map

South Side – Land on bend (Badsey Map G009)

In 1812, at the time of the Badsey Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure known as Pinnock, amounting to 0a 3r 6p, which belonged to James Harris. In 1864, the plot, together with land elsewhere in the parish, was sold by John Harris of Cropthorne, for a total of £1,200 to Christ Church (see valuation). In 1899, the Reverend W H Price contacted Christ Church about the sale of a piece of the glebe to Evesham Rural District Council in order to widen the road on the bend. H S Harvey, the Surveyor for Evesham drew a plan for the proposed improvement to the highway.

South Side – Elsewhere Park (Bengeworth, Evesham)

This land is situated just across the brook from Badsey and is in the parish of Bengeworth, Evesham; it is worthy of note because of the following story connected with Badsey people. For a short time in the 1920s, a football club known as Badsey Arrowvale played at Elsewhere Park, Badsey Lane (the entrance being where present-day sign Hutchings is situated). They had applied to the Recreation Ground Committee for permission to play at Sands Lane but were told that the ground had already been let to Badsey Rangers Football Club so must look elsewhere. When they did find an alternative pitch in Arthur Jones’ field off Badsey Lane, they named it Elsewhere Park. According to village historian, Terry Sparrow, opinions differ as to the originator of the name, although it seems likely that the credit goes to Tommy Diddymus Knight, "a bustling little man who was full of energy and enthusiasm in everything he did."

Note - most of Badsey Lane is in the parish of Bengeworth and so not covered by this survey.

Where they are available, links are provided to historical information about places and buildings. This index of roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington was compiled as part of the Badsey Society Enclosure Map Project. The house numbers and names are correct as at May 2006. Every care has been taken to provide accurate information, but if you are aware of any error, please contact us. If you wish to provide a history or memories of an individual house on this road, please email History@badsey.net.


Badsey is a large working village in Worcestershire, England. Aldington is a smaller village in the same parish. The Badsey Society exists to promote the understanding and study of the villages and the surrounding area. The Enclosure Map Project traces the development of the villages since the publication of enclosure maps in 1807 and 1812. The Society is grateful for a grant received from the Local Heritage Initiative.
Updated 7 July 2013. Email History@badsey.net.