Enclosure map project

Footpath: Birmingham Road to Station Road, Blackminster

Badsey website home page

Roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington

Link to WCC GIS map
Click on the image above to see this path on the Worcestershire County Council GIS website with the digitised historical maps. Click on the image below to view the original enclosure map.

enclosure map

OpenStreetMap

Photos taken 2006.

BIRMINGHAM ROAD TO STATION ROAD

Grid Reference: 073443 to 072437

This footpath lies entirely in Blackminster, which only became part of the parish of Badsey in 1949. It is thus not covered by the Badsey Enclosure Map as it was then in Offenham.

There is evidence that the land in this area was occupied in Roman times.

Arthur Savory in his book, "Grain and Chaff from an English Manor", refers to a huge pear tree at Blackminster: "I had a splendid specimen of the Chate Boy pear tree at an outlying set of buildings, said to be the father of all the trees of that kind in the neighbourhood, and it was a landmark for miles, as it stood on high ground. It was fitted with a ladder reaching to the middle of the tree, where seats were arranged on a platform for eight or nine people; but it was unfortunately blown down on the night of the great gale of October 14 1877 when 12 other trees on the farm were likewise". In a later chapter, he says: "October 14 1877 was memorable for the most terrific south-west gale that happened in all the years I passed at Aldington; 13 trees, mostly old apple trees and elms, were blown down, including the splendid veteran "Chate boy" pear tree at Blackminster, an exceedingly sad and irreparable loss. The gale blew hardest in special tracks, the course of which could be followed by the destruction of trees and branches in distinct lanes, cut through woods and plantations." The location of the tree would either have been near the buildings at Sheepditch Barn or Upper Blackminster, none of which exist today but which are shown on the 1883 Ordnance Survey map.

Here is a description of a walk along the path today. [LINK TO BE MADE AVAILABLE IN DUE COURSE.] The following paragraphs give an historical description of ownership of the land over which the path passes.

West Side - Lower Blackminster, west of Birmingham Road (Offenham Map 180)

This land was owned from at least the 18th century by the Wilson family. In 1806, Francis Wilson of Kempsey passed all 35 acres of his land at Offenham to his son, Edward Wilson (not the Edward Wilson who was Lord of the Manor of Badsey, but a distant cousin); the tenant was John Ballard. In 1841, at the time of the Offenham Tithe Map, Edward Wilson is recorded as the owner and the tenant was Charles Drury. It was called Level Ground, used as arable. It was situated at the south-western corner of a crossroads of paths. William Parker was the tenant in the 1850s. Edward Wilson died in 1860 and, after his wife Sophia’s death in 1861, it passed to Sophia’s niece, Victoria Montague Angle. In 1863, Victoria, by now married to Robert Payne, sold all the land at Offenham to Joseph Woodward for £2,430. Woodward in turn sold the land in 1866 to William Henry Ashwin of Bretforton, this field forming part of Lot 3. The land, then known as Lower Blackminster, remained in the Ashwin family until 1912 when it was sold as part of Lot 20.

West Side – Far Blackminster Ground
(Offenham Map 174)

This land was owned from the 18th century by the Reverend Thomas Williams. An Estate Map, dated 1825, and drawn by William Woodward (the son of his agent William Woodward), gives the name of this field as Far Blackminster Ground with an acreage of 8a 2r 16p. Reverend Williams died in 1829 and the land passed by inheritance to the Allies family. In 1841, at the time of the Offenham Tithe Map, this plot of land belonged to Walter, Frederick, Edward, Jabez, William, Robert and George Allies and the tenant was William Collett. The name given then was Old Saintsoin Ground and used as arable. In 1864, Susanna Allies, the widow of Robert Allies who had died in 1861, sold the land, together with all the rest of her husband’s land-holdings in Badsey, Aldington and Offenham, to Joseph Woodward for £12,500. Joseph Woodward was the younger brother of William Woodward who had drawn the 1825 map, and had replaced his father as agent. Woodward in turn sold the land in 1866 to William Henry Ashwin of Bretforton, this field forming part of Lot 2. The land remained in the Ashwin family until 1912 when it was sold as Lot 19.

West Side – Barn Ground and Long Meadow
(Offenham Map 168 and also 169)

An Estate Map of land belonging to the Reverend Thomas Williams, drawn in 1825, indicates that this land was owned by Miss Greaves. In 1841, at the time of the Offenham Tithe Map, this plot of land belonged to Mrs Elizabeth Walter and the tenant was Charles Drury. It was called Barn Ground and used as arable. Adjoining this land to the south-west was land also owned by Elizabeth Walter, called Sheep Ditch Meadow. The land had been bought by the Walter family in 1829. It was firstly in the occupation of John Gibbs, then Thomas Gibbs, then of Charles and Francis Drury. In the early 1850s, the Oxford, Wolverhampton & Worcester Railway was built over the most northern part of the field. Robert Allies, who owned the neighbouring land to the south, then bought these two pieces of land (together with a field to the east of the path) from Robert Walter, the surviving trustee, for £470 in the 1850s. They were described as: "… the greater part of a close of land for many years then last past known by the name of the Barn Ground together with the Barn Stable and other buildings erected thereon and the walled-in farmyard adjoining thereto containing together with the sites of the said buildings and yard 10a 1r 9p ….. also all that close piece or parcel of meadow or Pasture Land called the Long Meadow containing 1a 3r 6p or thereabouts together with the implement house and other buildings erected thereon …" The tenant was Joseph Woodward. In 1864, Susanna Allies, the widow of Robert Allies who had died in 1861, sold the land, together with all the rest of her husband’s land-holdings in Badsey, Aldington and Offenham, to Joseph Woodward for £12,500. Woodward in turn sold the land in 1866 to William Henry Ashwin of Bretforton, this field forming part of Lot 5. In 1912, the Ashwin family sold most of the land to the east of the brook, but retained their estate in Aldington. This meadow did not form part of the 1912 sale, and so it is assumed it remained in the Ashwin family until the meadows were sold in the 1980s after the death of the last Squire, Harry Ashwin, in 1983.

West Side, south of railway – Sheep Ditch (Offenham Map 166 and also 164, 165)

In 1841, at the time of the Offenham Tithe Map, this plot of land belonged to John New and the tenant was George Smith. It was called Sheep Ditch, used as arable, and the value was £2 13s 6d. Adjoining this land to the west was Sheep Ditch Meadow and to the north Cherry Orchard, also owned by John New. In the early 1850s, the Oxford, Wolverhampton & Worcester Railway was built over parts of all these three fields. Nearly a hundred years later, the land south of the railway became part of the parish of Badsey, whilst the larger northern part remained in Offenham. The footpath ends at the point where Station Road was altered in order to accommodate the railway line.

East Side, southern section
(Offenham Map 186, 173, 171)

This land belonged, in the 18th century, to Francis Jones of Badsey. By his will of 1795, he gave all his estate at Blackminster to his nephew, Piercy Jones. Piercy Jones died in 1837 and, by his will, he granted life interests in his land at Offenham and Badsey to Esther and Alice Laugher (the younger spinster sisters of his brother Joseph’s first wife Elizabeth who had died in 1826). In 1841, at the time of the Offenham Tithe Map, Miss Esther Laugher was recorded as both owner and tenant. The fields were called Corner Ground (by 1866 known as Shoulder of Mutton Ground), Barn Ground, and an unnamed field, used as arable. In the early 1850s, the Oxford, Wolverhampton & Worcester Railway was built over the most-western tip of the unnamed field. Esther Laugher died in 1858, some 12 years after her sister, and the nieces and nephews of Piercy Jones (the five surviving children of the third marriage of Joseph Jones) were free to sell the land, which they did in September 1858 to Joseph Woodward. Woodward in turn sold the land in 1866 to William Henry Ashwin of Bretforton, this field forming part of Lot 4. The land remained in the Ashwin family until 1912 when it was sold as Lot 17 and part of Lot 18.

East Side, northern section
(Offenham Map 167)

In 1841, at the time of the Offenham Tithe Map, this plot of land belonged to Mrs Elizabeth Walter and the tenant was Charles Drury. It was called Shoulder of Mutton and used as arable. The land had been bought by the Walter family in 1829. It was firstly in the occupation of John Gibbs, then Thomas Gibbs, and more recently in the occupation of Charles and Francis Drury. In the early 1850s, the Oxford, Wolverhampton & Worcester Railway was built over part of this land. Robert Allies, who owned the neighbouring land to the south, then bought these two pieces of land (together with a field to the east of the path) from Robert Walter, the surviving trustee, for £470 in the 1850s. It was described as "… part and parcel of a close of land known by the name of the Shoulder of Mutton Grounds containing 0a 3r 26p …" The tenant was Joseph Woodward. In 1864, Susanna Allies, the widow of Robert Allies who had died in 1861, sold the land, together with all the rest of her husband’s land-holdings in Badsey, Aldington and Offenham, to Joseph Woodward for £12,500. Woodward in turn sold the land in 1866 to William Henry Ashwin of Bretforton, this field forming part of Lot 2. The land remained in the Ashwin family until 1912 when it was sold as Lot 19. In 1949, just the southern-most tip of this land, south of the railway, became part of the parish of Badsey, whilst the larger northern part remained in Offenham. The footpath ends at the point where Station Road was altered in order to accommodate the railway line.

Where they are available, links are provided to historical information about places and buildings. This index of roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington was compiled as part of the Badsey Society Enclosure Map Project. The house numbers and names are correct as at May 2006. Every care has been taken to provide accurate information, but if you are aware of any error, please contact us. If you wish to provide a history or memories of an individual house on this road, please email History@badsey.net.


Badsey is a large working village in Worcestershire, England. Aldington is a smaller village in the same parish. The Badsey Society exists to promote the understanding and study of the villages and the surrounding area. The Enclosure Map Project traces the development of the villages since the publication of enclosure maps in 1807 and 1812. The Society is grateful for a grant received from the Local Heritage Initiative.
Updated 12 July 2010. Email History@badsey.net.