Enclosure map project

Fields Close, Badsey

Badsey website home page

Roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington

Link to WCC GIS map
Click on the image above to see this road on the Worcestershire County Council GIS website with the digitised historical maps. Click on the image below to view the original enclosure map.
enclosure map

Photos taken 2006. Aerial photo: a7112

FIELDS CLOSE

Fields Close is a development of nine detached houses and seven detached bungalows (numbers 1-17 with no number 13) in a cul-de-sac off Badsey Fields Lane, built in the 1980s. The Badsey and Aldington Village Plan for the period 1981-1991, published in 1981, identified this site as one of four possible areas for expansion within the village, Badsey having been selected for limited housing development because of its good shopping facilities, local employment, relatively good public transport service and spare capacity in the main services. The Plan described the land as being currently in market gardening use but approximately 3Ĺ acres could be assembled as a housing site which could accommodate up to 30 new dwellings. It stated that, "The advantages of this site are that it is enclosed and therefore not extending the village into open country. Access to the site could be gained from Binyon Close or Badsey Fields Lane." In the event, three bungalows were built at the northern end of Binyon Close and the access to the new road called Fields Close (with 16 houses) was from Badsey Fields Lane. Here are details about the planning application for Fields Close (link to be added).

The road is so-called because of its proximity to Badsey Fields.


View Larger Map

Numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17 (Badsey Map G061)

In 1812, at the time of the Badsey Enclosure Act, this land was an old enclosure owned by John Jones. It was called Sand Close and amounted to 4a 0r 18p. In the north-western corner of the plot, at the corner of the present-day Chapel Street and Badsey Fields Lane, there was a pool known as Sand Pool (or Green Pool as it was sometimes known), which existed at the time of Enclosure and was present throughout most of the 19th century (certainly up to 1883). After John Jonesí death in 1850, the land remained in the Jones family but was mortgaged to Henry Burlingham for £2000. Joseph Jones (Johnís nephew) defaulted on the mortgage and so the land was sold at auction on 7th July 1888. (See 1888 indenture map.) The land, known as Sands Garden, which had been used as garden ground, was divided into five lots of around an acre each, on which houses were built abutting Willersey Road. The eastern-most part of these plots of land were sold off by the respective owners in the 1980s for housing development on the new Fields Close.

Where they are available, links are provided to historical information about places and buildings. This index of roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington was compiled as part of the Badsey Society Enclosure Map Project. The house numbers and names are correct as at May 2006. Every care has been taken to provide accurate information, but if you are aware of any error, please contact us. If you wish to provide a history or memories of an individual house on this road, please email History@badsey.net.


Badsey is a large working village in Worcestershire, England. Aldington is a smaller village in the same parish. The Badsey Society exists to promote the understanding and study of the villages and the surrounding area. The Enclosure Map Project traces the development of the villages since the publication of enclosure maps in 1807 and 1812. The Society is grateful for a grant received from the Local Heritage Initiative.
Updated 7 July 2013. Email History@badsey.net.