Enclosure map project

Manor Gardens, Aldington

Badsey website home page

Roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington

Link to WCC GIS map
Click on the image above to see this road on the Worcestershire County Council GIS website with the digitised historical maps. Click on the image below to view the original enclosure map.

enclosure map

Photos taken 2006. Aerial photos: a7152 a7158

MANOR GARDENS

Manor Gardens is a development of four detached bungalows, built in the 1970s by David Brazier on the east side of Village Street. The numbering is 1-4 going in a clockwise direction. It is so-called because it once formed part of the Manor garden. Here is more information about the planning application.

North - 1, 2 (Aldington Map Z010)

In 1807, at the time of the Aldington Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure owned by George Day. It amounted to 1a 1r 2p and comprised part of the land attached to the farmhouse belonging to Aldington Farm. George Day had bought the Aldington Farm estate and Brooke’s Farm estate from Thomas Lord Foley in 1805 for £7,000. Aldington Farm had been in Lord Foley’s family for 140 years, an earlier Thomas Foley of Witley having bought "all that Manor of Aldington alias Aunton, and all that farm called Aunton Farm now in the tenure of William Jarrett, gentleman" in 1665. On 6th October 1808, just two days after the Enclosure Awards, George Day sold this plot of land, together with all the estate bought from Lord Foley in 1805, to James Ashwin of Bretforton, for £12,000. Soon after acquiring the property, James Ashwin had a new extension built which forms the modern-day Manor House; this plot of land was part of the Manor gardens. The house and gardens remained in the Ashwin family until the middle of the 20th century. The Manor House, and all the land on the east side of the street, was then sold to Mr Jerram, a Birmingham businessman. He died intestate and the land was sold off to have a fair distribution in the family; it was bought by David Brazier in the 1960s and he developed the land. Mr Jerram’s two daughters were the first occupants of Number 1.


View Larger Map

South - 3, 4 (Aldington Map Z014)

In 1807, at the time of the Aldington Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure owned by Thomas Byrd. It amounted to 0a 2r 36p. The Byrd family had owned it since at least 1766 when this plot, and the land to the south, was described as "a messuage or tenement and two yard land and an half of arable land meadow and pasture ground with the appurtenances". In 1814, James Ashwin, who owned the neighbouring land to the north and east, contracted to buy this plot and the land to the south for £835 10s 0d; he now owned all the land on the east side of Village Street as far as Badsey Road. The buildings which were in existence on the Enclosure Map of 1807 had gone by the time of the Ordnance Survey map of 1883. It remained in the Ashwin family until the middle of the 20th century. The Manor House, and all the land on the east side of the street, was then sold to Mr Jerram, a Birmingham businessman. He died intestate and the land was sold off to have a fair distribution in the family; it was bought by David Brazier in the 1960s and he developed the land.

Where they are available, links are provided to historical information about places and buildings. This index of roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington was compiled as part of the Badsey Society Enclosure Map Project. The house numbers and names are correct as at May 2006. Every care has been taken to provide accurate information, but if you are aware of any error, please contact us. If you wish to provide a history or memories of an individual house on this road, please email History@badsey.net.


Badsey is a large working village in Worcestershire, England. Aldington is a smaller village in the same parish. The Badsey Society exists to promote the understanding and study of the villages and the surrounding area. The Enclosure Map Project traces the development of the villages since the publication of enclosure maps in 1807 and 1812. The Society is grateful for a grant received from the Local Heritage Initiative.
Updated 7 July 2013. Email History@badsey.net.