Enclosure map project

Mill Lane, Aldington

Badsey website home page

Roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington

Link to WCC GIS map
Click on the image above to see this road on the Worcestershire County Council GIS website with the digitised historical maps. Click on the image below to view the original enclosure map.

enclosure map

Photos taken 2006. Aerial photos: a7152 a7155

MILL LANE

This road is so-called because of the mill which was built close to the brook in the 19th century and existed for about a hundred years before being demolished. Whilst there had been a mill in existence in earlier days (one is mentioned in the Domesday Book), there was not one at the time of Enclosure; the earlier mill was situated further north. In 1807, when the Aldington Enclosure Map was drawn, this road was known as Pitwell Road. It was described thus: "One Public Carriage Road and Highway of the breadth of thirty feet branching out of the Turnpike Road leading from Bengworth to Littleton at or near Bowheadland Furlong and passing thence in an Eastward direction along its usual track through and over the said Common fields to the Village of Aldington and hereinafter called Pitwell Road." It ran from the current-day Offenham Road, then split in the centre of Aldington, one branch going north along the current-day Chapel Lane and one branch going east along the current-day Mill Lane.

Donald Wasley, who grew up in Aldington between the wars, records that as a child they referred to the first part of the road (from the Corner to the Flour Mill and the Mill House) as "down the Mill"; the lane that went from the road to the Mill to the ford across to the Mill Meadows was known as "Ford Lane".

See Letters from Don Wasley (1918 - 2000) and Roy Page about life in Badsey and Aldington.

Development began along this road in the early 19th century with the building of the mill.


Aldington Mill

See also the 'Aldington Mills' chapter in Aldington and Badsey: Villages in the Vale.


View Larger Map

1 & 2 The Hop Kilns, Tithe Barn (Aldington Map Z010)

In 1807, at the time of the Aldington Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure owned by George Day. It amounted to 1a 1r 2p and comprised the out-houses belonging to Aldington Farm. George Day had bought the Aldington Farm estate and Brooke’s Farm estate from Thomas Lord Foley in 1805 for £7,000. Aldington Farm had been in Lord Foley’s family for 140 years, an earlier Thomas Foley of Witley having bought "all that Manor of Aldington alias Aunton, and all that farm called Aunton Farm now in the tenure of William Jarrett, gentleman" in 1665. The barn, situated on the land, is an ancient structure, which was probably originally built as a tithe barn. On 6th October 1808, just two days after the Enclosure Awards, George Day sold this plot of land, together with all the estate bought from Lord Foley in 1805, to James Ashwin of Bretforton, for £12,000; the land remained in the Ashwin family until the latter part of the 20th century. In the late 19th century, Arthur Savory, the tenant farmer at the Manor, began growing hops and hop kilns were built. Whilst the Manor House, gardens and coach house were sold by the Ashwins in the 1950s, the hop kilns and barn were retained. They were sold about 1978 to Peter Marriott. The right of way across the land was stopped up and the hop kilns were converted to residential accommodation in 1982.

Millstone Cottage, Mill House, Site of Corn Mill (Aldington Map Z009) and Mill Pond (Aldington Map Z004)

In 1807, at the time of the Aldington Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure owned by George Day. It amounted to 1a 1r 32p and was part of Aldington Farm. George Day had bought the Aldington Farm estate and Brooke’s Farm estate from Thomas Lord Foley in 1805 for £7,000. Aldington Farm had been in Lord Foley’s family for 140 years, an earlier Thomas Foley of Witley having bought "all that Manor of Aldington alias Aunton, and all that farm called Aunton Farm now in the tenure of William Jarrett, gentleman" in 1665. On 6th October 1808, just two days after the Enclosure Awards, George Day sold this plot of land, together with all the estate bought from Lord Foley in 1805, to James Ashwin of Bretforton, for £12,000; the land remained in the Ashwin family until the latter part of the 20th century. Soon after acquiring the estate, James Ashwin set about re-establishing a mill in Aldington, but this time it was situated to the south of where a mill had existed in earlier centuries. The brook was diverted to form a mill pond. The mill was certainly in existence by 1814, as deeds relating to a property on Village Street refer to the land being bounded by the Mill Pond on the east. Mill House was built just before the First World War by Jerry Sharp, the Miller, for his son John Sharp; previously, mill workers had lived actually at the Mill. The Mill site, house and cottage were sold to Peter Marriott about 1960. Millstone Cottage is an old farm building which was in existence in 1807; it was converted to residential accommodation in the latter part of the 20th century.

Where they are available, links are provided to historical information about places and buildings. This index of roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington was compiled as part of the Badsey Society Enclosure Map Project. The house numbers and names are correct as at May 2006. Every care has been taken to provide accurate information, but if you are aware of any error, please contact us. If you wish to provide a history or memories of an individual house on this road, please email History@badsey.net.


Badsey is a large working village in Worcestershire, England. Aldington is a smaller village in the same parish. The Badsey Society exists to promote the understanding and study of the villages and the surrounding area. The Enclosure Map Project traces the development of the villages since the publication of enclosure maps in 1807 and 1812. The Society is grateful for a grant received from the Local Heritage Initiative.
Updated 7 July 2013. Email History@badsey.net.