Enclosure map project

Packs Close, Badsey

Badsey website home page

Roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington

Link to WCC GIS map
Click on the image above to see this road on the Worcestershire County Council GIS website with the digitised historical maps. Click on the image below to view the original enclosure map.
enclosure map

Photos taken 2006. Aerial photos: a6978 a7042

PACKS CLOSE

Packs Close is built on land which used to belong to Aldington but which became part of Badsey in 1921. This development of eight houses (five terraced houses and a pair of semi-detached and a link detached house) was built in the 1980s at the north-eastern tip of Horsebridge Avenue. Here are details about the planning application for Packs Close (link to be added).

It is so-called because of its proximity to a field called First Packs Ground.


View Larger Map

East Side – 1, 2, 3, 4, 5; West Side - 6, 7, 8 (Aldington Z006)

In 1807, at the time of the Aldington Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure owned by George Day. It was called The Hanging Grounds (16a 1r 38p) and comprised part of the land belonging to Aldington Farm, which had previously been owned by the Foley family for nearly 140 years. Thomas Foley of Witley had bought "all that Manor of Aldington alias Aunton, and all that farm called Aunton Farm now in the tenure of William Jarrett, gentleman" in 1665. On 6th October 1808, just two days after the Enclosure Awards, George Day sold the entire Aldington estate to James Ashwin of Bretforton, for £12,000. The land remained in the Ashwin family for the next hundred years when it was then sold as Lot 13, along with the rest of the Ashwin estate, by public auction on 10th June 1912 at The King’s Head Hotel, Evesham. From the end of the 19th century, this was used as market garden land. There was a gate with a road along the middle and tenants either side. This small section of the field was developed in the 1980s.

Where they are available, links are provided to historical information about places and buildings. This index of roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington was compiled as part of the Badsey Society Enclosure Map Project. The house numbers and names are correct as at May 2006. Every care has been taken to provide accurate information, but if you are aware of any error, please contact us. If you wish to provide a history or memories of an individual house on this road, please email History@badsey.net.


Badsey is a large working village in Worcestershire, England. Aldington is a smaller village in the same parish. The Badsey Society exists to promote the understanding and study of the villages and the surrounding area. The Enclosure Map Project traces the development of the villages since the publication of enclosure maps in 1807 and 1812. The Society is grateful for a grant received from the Local Heritage Initiative.
Updated 7 July 2013. Email History@badsey.net.