Enclosure map project

St James Close, Badsey

Badsey website home page

Roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington

Link to WCC GIS map
Click on the image above to see this road on the Worcestershire County Council GIS website with the digitised historical maps. Click on the image below to view the original enclosure map.
enclosure map

Photos taken 2006. Aerial photos: a7072 a7126

ST JAMES CLOSE

St James Close was the third phase of Council development in the post Second World War period. It comprised 24 houses built in a crescent off Brewers Lane in 1962. It is called St James Close because of its proximity to St James Church. The development caused much controversy when it was learned that the Rural District Council intended to use its power of compulsory purchase to acquire the site, known as Wheatley’s Orchard, in the centre of the village. Some people believed that the land once formed part of a village green and should therefore be preserved as an open space, but in fact it had always been in private ownership. Strong protests were heard, a petition was organised, a public meeting was held and the scheme was temporarily shelved. But it was not long before the plan was reintroduced; this time there was little opposition and building went ahead. Here are details about the planning application for St James Close (link to be added).

The entrances to the first three houses and the last two houses of St James Close are actually on the north side of Brewers Lane. Numbering begins at Number 1 and goes in an anti-clockwise direction round the crescent.


Dovecote in Wheatleys Orchard


View Larger Map

Numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 (Badsey Map G044)

In 1812, at the time of the Badsey Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure which belonged to Thomas Byrd. It was called Stable and Dovecote Close and amounted to 2a 1r 12p. At some stage in the early part of the 20th century, the land was bought by Horace Wheatley and remained in the Wheatley family until the 1960s; it was known as Wheatley’s Orchard. A dovecote, which was demolished in the 1960s, stood in the back garden of what is now number 22.


St James' Close about 1962

See also the 'Council Housing in Badsey & Aldington' chapter in Aldington and Badsey: Villages in the Vale.

Where they are available, links are provided to historical information about places and buildings. This index of roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington was compiled as part of the Badsey Society Enclosure Map Project. The house numbers and names are correct as at May 2006. Every care has been taken to provide accurate information, but if you are aware of any error, please contact us. If you wish to provide a history or memories of an individual house on this road, please email History@badsey.net.


Badsey is a large working village in Worcestershire, England. Aldington is a smaller village in the same parish. The Badsey Society exists to promote the understanding and study of the villages and the surrounding area. The Enclosure Map Project traces the development of the villages since the publication of enclosure maps in 1807 and 1812. The Society is grateful for a grant received from the Local Heritage Initiative.
Updated 7 July 2013. Email History@badsey.net.