Enclosure map project

Synehurst Avenue, Badsey

Badsey website home page

Roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington

Link to WCC GIS map
Click on the image above to see this road on the Worcestershire County Council GIS website with the digitised historical maps. Click on the image below to view the original enclosure map.
enclosure map

Photos taken 2006. Aerial photo: a7214

SYNEHURST AVENUE

Synehurst Avenue is on land which used to belong to Aldington but which became part of Badsey in 1921. Synehurst Avenue was the third phase of Council development and was built off Synehurst Crescent in 1935 to meet the growing need for more council housing. It comprises nine pairs of semi-detached houses, originally numbered 1-18, built in a slightly different style to the earlier Council houses. In about 1950, the numbering was changed to 39-56, following on from the numbering on Synehurst. The numbers go in an anti-clockwise direction.


View Larger Map

North Side - 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48; South Side - 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 (Aldington Map Z007)

In 1807, at the time of the Aldington Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure owned by George Day. It amounted to 11a 3r 25p and comprised part of the land belonging to Aldington Farm, which had previously been owned by the Foley family for nearly 140 years. Thomas Foley of Witley had bought "all that Manor of Aldington alias Aunton, and all that farm called Aunton Farm now in the tenure of William Jarrett, gentleman" in 1665. This piece of land, together with the neighbouring field to the west, was known as Seaneys Ground, comprising 18a 3r 28p in total, and was sold by another Thomas Lord Foley in 1803 to John Procter for £760. Just over two years later, in February 1806, John Procter, sold the two fields to George Day (who had bought the remaining part of the Aldington Farm estate from the Foleys in 1805) for £1,365. On 6th October 1808, just two days after the Enclosure Awards, George Day sold the entire Aldington estate to James Ashwin of Bretforton, for £12,000. The eastern section of the field was sold off in 1815 when the new road Synehurst was built. The rest of the field remained in the Ashwin family for the next hundred years, with the exception of a small piece of land (80 feet x 42 feet) which was donated by Richard Ashwin in the 1840s for the purpose of building a school (the present-day Royal British Legion building). In 1912, the land was sold as Lot 16, along with the rest of the Ashwin estate, by public auction on 10th June at The King’s Head Hotel, Evesham. The land, known as Corner Ground or Sinehurst, was bought by the tenant, Mr F Thould.

See also the 'Council Housing in Badsey & Aldington' chapter in Aldington and Badsey: Villages in the Vale.

Where they are available, links are provided to historical information about places and buildings. This index of roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington was compiled as part of the Badsey Society Enclosure Map Project. The house numbers and names are correct as at May 2006. Every care has been taken to provide accurate information, but if you are aware of any error, please contact us. If you wish to provide a history or memories of an individual house on this road, please email History@badsey.net.


Badsey is a large working village in Worcestershire, England. Aldington is a smaller village in the same parish. The Badsey Society exists to promote the understanding and study of the villages and the surrounding area. The Enclosure Map Project traces the development of the villages since the publication of enclosure maps in 1807 and 1812. The Society is grateful for a grant received from the Local Heritage Initiative.
Updated 5 July 2013. Email History@badsey.net.