Wickhamford Manor House:
owners & occupiers
links to information about Wickhamford Manor House and, in particular,
some of the people who owned it and lived there.
Spooner family were tenants of Wickhamford Manor from 1529,
when the first William Spooner came from Twyford to lease the Manor
from Evesham Abbey for 51 years.
|In 1594 one
of the Sandys family acquired property in Wickhamford, including
the Manor House and its estates. See The Sandys
Family at Wickhamford.
information is accredited by E.A.B. Barnard to Sir Thomas Phillipps
of Middle Hill, Broadway. Barnard says Phillipps was always very
exact, but that the documents 'are no longer available' (writing
of Wickhamford was leased to Field Whorwood by Samuel Sandys,
his wife Mary and mother Penelope, on 15th February 1637, for
40 years. Whorwood was from Nethercote, Oxfordshire.He was born
about 1592, one of 14 children of William Whorwood of Sandwell
and his wife Ann nee Field. (Jane Austen is one of their distant
descendants.) He was a citizen of London where he is recorded
as an ironmonger and was an Alderman, elected on 12th July 1653,
to represent Farringdon Without. He died in July 1658 and is buried
in West Bromwich. His Will was proved in Wootton. His niece, Jane
Whorwood, was a Royalist supporter in the Civil War and there
is a book about her entitled The King's Smuggler.
|Pettus, Rushout &
History tells us Sir John Pettus, of Cheston Hall, Suffolk,
was Deputy Governor of Royal mines and author of various books
on metals. His daughter, Elizabeth, married Samuel Sandys, son
of Samuel and Mary Sandys. "Thus, in 1657 it (the Manor)
was conveyed ... to Sir John Pettus... ." Here is a
portrait of Sir John Pettus.
The Victoria History goes on to say that in 1694, Samuel and Elizabeth
Sandys, and Edwin Sandys, their son, conveyed the Manor to Sir
James Rushout and William Bromley, Edwin having married Sir James's
daughter, Alice. Sir James Rushout (1644-1698) was MP for Evesham
and one time Ambassador to Constantinople. He was buried at Blockley:
here is a photo of his monument in Blockley
Church with his bust on the right of the picture.
As the Manor stayed in Sandys family hands for many generations
after this date, these must have been a temporary arrangements.
|In the second
half of the eighteenth century, Wickhamford Manor was occupied by
a branch of the Holland family of Cropthorne.
At that time the Manor was usually referred to as Manor Farm.
Smith & family
|At the time
of the 1871 census, Wickhamford Manor was occupied by Fred
S. Smith and his family. He was a 34-year-old 'Factor & Agent
in Cloth Trade', who had been born in Aston Manor, Warwickshire.
|For a short
time between the 1871 and 1881 censuses Wickhamford Manor was rented
to farmer John Phillipps and his family. See Phillipps
|In the late
19th century, Wickhamford Manor was owned by the Trustees of the
late John Pickup Lord and rented out to tenant farmers, including
the Pope family.
John and Alice
Idiens lived at Wickhamford Manor for a short period around 1901.
He had an interesting life in the area and eventually emigrated
to British Columbia, Canada. See Idiens family
who lived at the Manor around 1900.
(1908 - 1997) was a writer with a special interest in historic houses.
From 1936 to 1950 he worked for the National Trust and played a
key role in the first large-scale transfer of country houses from
private ownership to the National Trust. See Wickhamford
Manor House & the Lees-Milne family.
Updated 7 May 2014.
Contact email: Wickhamford@Badsey.net