Badsey (with Aldington) and Wickhamford
Parochial Magazine




February is was a red-letter day for the community over which the Rev. J. L. Lopes presides. On that day the old stone house, latterly known as "Montpellier," but in future to be known as "St. Christopher's," was, after its recent restoration, solemnly blessed by the Rev. A. H. Baverstock, rector of Hinton Marvel and formerly assistant-curate of Evesham, who also gave a very beautiful address in the chapel. A large number of sympathisers attended the ceremony and were afterwards entertained to tea.

As is now generally understood, St. Christopher's is to be conducted by Sister Katherine who expects soon to be joined by other sisters, as a home for little boys, and we are sure all our readers will wish Sister Catherine and her colleague "God-speed" in work of so promising a character. They will also congratulate Fr. Lopes and his excellent architect, Mr. J. A. Crush, on the very successful restoration of what is almost our oldest house. The house is said to have been originally the residence of Sir Richard Hoby, who died in 1616 and is described in the register of burials as "eius nominis in universa Britania antiquissimus." For a long time, however, it had figured as an extremely dilapidated farmhouse, whilst within the last few years it had been on the point of being converted into a pair of semi-detached villas and has also had one or two narrow escapes of being demolished. Incidentally, therefore, Fr. Lopes' philanthropic schemes on behalf of the rising generation have been instrumental in preserving to us a link with the past of which any parish might be justly proud. This is Fr. Lopes' second "venture of faith" in Badsey, and we think we may claim to voice the sentiments of the parish generally in saying that, by his splendid example of self-sacrifice and liberality, he has won the respect and admiration of all, even of his severest critics. We wish St. Christopher's the best of all good wishes "Good luck in the Name of the Lord."



By A. E. B.

In the early hours of the morning of 7th July, we arrived at Badsey Station. At a quarter to six we were in the train on our journey to Weymouth. We were due to arrive there at 10.30, but on arriving we found that we were three-quarters of an hour late. We were able to see the sea just before we reached Weymouth. After having lunch in a restaurant we went on to the sea-front. The sea looked a light blue near the land, but farther out it looked a dark blue. Some of us had a paddle, and two of the boys had wet knickerbockers when they came out put on their shoes and stockings. At 1.30 our dinner was ready. After dinner we went on board a steamer bound for Portland Bill. Two of the boys enjoyed themselves very much. They had the pleasure of being sea-sick. When we were nearing Portland one of our members had a ducking from a large wave. As the steamer was passing through the opening of the first wall which guards the town I saw a notice warning people not to throw rubbish into the harbour. There are three rows of walls, one being out to sea and the other two being nearer land. At each opening are two forts, one on one side and the other on the side opposite. When we were in the harbour the boys began to get better. We saw many battleships. One was signalling as we passed. After landing our thoughts were of paddling again. Then came tea-time and we returned to the Red House Restaurant to have tea, After doing some shopping we made our way to the river. Here we saw a ship unloading her cargo of flour. Five sacks were lifted at once by a crane on to a dray which stood on the side of the river. We then came on to the sea-front again. On the sands was a moveable theatre. We went into it and heard some comic songs which were sung by some very fine singers. At nine o'clock our train commenced the return journey. Just after we got out of the town we saw that the battleships were lit up with electric light. One of the boys who was not very well on our journey to Portland slept from just after we began our homeward march till we arrived at Badsey Station at 1.40 a.m. on Wednesday.

[With the exception of Mr. H. Pethard, who very kindly assisted the Vicar in looking after the boys, the men, according to arrangement, left the party on arrival at Weymouth and made an independent tour of the places and objects of interest. Editor.]